So I am a working mom.
Wow that hurts! I can't tell you how much. I have always dreamed of being a stay at home mom. It really is all I ever wanted. I remember growing up in the 70's trying to figure out why I HAD to have a CAREER. All little girls in the 70's had to have a career plan. I wanted to be Ethel Kennedy. I am a Mormon now, but I wasn't then. So my attraction to the Osmonds wasn't conditioned. I wanted a house full of boys, a few girls and lots of chaos.
For the most part, that's what I got. And still have. It's just now I'm getting a "career" thrown in too.
Don't get me wrong, I really like my job. I'm getting a promotion. I love the people I work with. My schedule is such a great fit for my family right now. It's just...
I miss deciding to make a big breakfast before taking my kids on hike, on a Wednesday.
Just because.
I miss having a pajama day, a park day, a lake day.
I miss those conversations you have when running errands aimlessly with your kids.
Just to kill time!
It's not all bad, I'm grateful for my income. I'm thankful I can take my kids to work with me.
I am very blessed! The people I work with are some GREAT friends!
I am especially grateful to the dear friend who IS a stay at home mom, and got to have a random heart to heart with my daughter.
I'm so grateful to know what it's like to have to juggle so much, and to really not have a choice.
Because I didn't used to believe a Mom ever didn't have a choice to stay home. I'm grateful I have never left my little people. That this season hadn't come along until my kids are each older.
I guess I just miss my kids, and could use a nap.
Wow that hurts! I can't tell you how much. I have always dreamed of being a stay at home mom. It really is all I ever wanted. I remember growing up in the 70's trying to figure out why I HAD to have a CAREER. All little girls in the 70's had to have a career plan. I wanted to be Ethel Kennedy. I am a Mormon now, but I wasn't then. So my attraction to the Osmonds wasn't conditioned. I wanted a house full of boys, a few girls and lots of chaos.
For the most part, that's what I got. And still have. It's just now I'm getting a "career" thrown in too.
Don't get me wrong, I really like my job. I'm getting a promotion. I love the people I work with. My schedule is such a great fit for my family right now. It's just...
I miss deciding to make a big breakfast before taking my kids on hike, on a Wednesday.
Just because.
I miss having a pajama day, a park day, a lake day.
I miss those conversations you have when running errands aimlessly with your kids.
Just to kill time!
It's not all bad, I'm grateful for my income. I'm thankful I can take my kids to work with me.
I am very blessed! The people I work with are some GREAT friends!
I am especially grateful to the dear friend who IS a stay at home mom, and got to have a random heart to heart with my daughter.
I'm so grateful to know what it's like to have to juggle so much, and to really not have a choice.
Because I didn't used to believe a Mom ever didn't have a choice to stay home. I'm grateful I have never left my little people. That this season hadn't come along until my kids are each older.
I guess I just miss my kids, and could use a nap.

7 comments:
Awwww. Harlene. Just remember everyone at LTF LOVES you. Which I am sure is part of the reason you got the promotion. I can't wait to come back and see my LTF family, esepecially knowing you will still be there! You will be an amazing DH!!
I've ALWAYS been amazed at the mom's who manage home, family and career when that's what they have to do. I hope you got your nap. Thanks for helping me to remember to appreciate all my little blessings. One of those blessings is a cousin who appreciates hers!
I have always felt the same. I just want to be home with my kids, be there afterschool, before school, and during so that I can occasionally rescue them by carting their forgotten homework or lunch down to the school.
I, too, realize the importance of being home but also the importance of feeding and housing the kids! Some times there is not a choice and good for you for making the best of it. I'm closer than I'd like to losing my "stay at home" status. :(
Praying for you...Your heart is in the right place. Now remember how many children's hearts you can touch in your new job, not to mention blessing the lives of those you work with. You always bless mine!
Food and shelter... darn them! Your 'druthers' are beautiful. They'll be back.
My mom was (and is) a full time working mom. In fact, she went back to work less than a week after i was born 31 years ago. She has always managed to "do it all" and luckily she's been an educator so there have always been a few weeks in the summer where she was home with us.
Even though she worked, and has never really been home much she still raised (is still raising?) good kids and we love her very much.
I'm sure your kids feel the same way, too.
I am going to head to the bed and be grateful that I am at a stay at home that works her butt off trying to manage the house, yard and children by myself and try hard this week not to complain about my husband working from 8:00am-10:45pm. I can't not imagine the load it is to be a working mom. Praying for you:(
Post a Comment