Does anyone else have a problem with books?
I have a love affair with books. I love to read them, talk about them, browse through them, collect them, organize them, some would say hoard them,
but then sometimes, I find a book i don't like,
But, I can't stop myself from needing to read it anyway.
Why?
I am currently meandering through the title above.
You should know, I chose this book as a knee jerk reaction to the movie "Slumdog Millionaire"
It really upset me. I didn't finish it. I couldn't.
Too raw and too upsetting for me.
I needed to stick my head in the sand and hide somewhere where I knew I couldn't be emotionally assaulted.
Pemberly sounded perfect.
The problem is Darcy and Elizabeth are perfectly happy.
I have been a very happy newlywed.
I find myself scanning the pages hoping for some depth.
I don't believe these two didn't have anything interesting going on, or at least something interesting to talk about?
But I can't seem to give up on books, I keep trying thinking with every page they are going to redeem themselves.
Except Twilight,
I suffered through 6 chapters and knew there was NO hope for that one.
But this one, I am still plugging along.
Now I have a compulsive urge to read a tortuous classic.
Something with teeth.
I got "Heart of Darkness" today.
Not sure I"m going to be able to handle that one either.
I have heard "The Help" is really good.
Anyone read it?
Anyone else not able to break up with bad books?


2 comments:
I break up immediately. I did like the Twilight books (maybe I'm 12 at heart) but that same author wrote anothger one called the host. I've tried 3 times to get into it but just can't! ACK. Hate that! Read something like "John Adams" by David McCullough. SUPER!
i'm with rhonda. i break up probably too quickly. so i end up with a ton of partially read books lying around because even though i refuse to finish them, i also refuse to get rid of them. and oh, the joy of finding one that captures my attention from the get-go. then i just read those few treasures over and over and over. i'm reading Joy Luck Club for the 99th time now.
Post a Comment