Tuesday, December 15, 2009

YES, we need a little Christmas!


So yesterday my teens mentioned they would like it if just once, I tried to buy their love for Christmas.
They claim they are perfectly secure in my SINCERE love for them and that they would really appreciate the opportunity to feel ignored and bribed.
Didn't I have anything I felt guilty enough about to SPEND my way in to their good graces?

It got me to thinking about how much I enjoy the commercialism I see in December.
Not the gadget and toy commercials,
and certainly no the part where I do feel bad that my kids never (EVER THEY ASSURE ME) are the ones people say,"Lucky!" too after Winter break.
But the part where everywhere you turn, neighbors and strangers are all focused on the same thing. Every Santa reminds me of what the human spirit really wants, unconditional love.
All the shoppers are simply trying to express there care for others in the best way they know how. Sure some of them could use some polish,
but I try to see it for what they are trying to achieve.
Isn't that what Santa sees in us?

My daughter asked me if I thought she was on the naughty or the nice list this year.
I asked her where she thought she ended up?
"Well, I would have been on the naughty list, but I repented."

I love that sentiment.
Christmas is about just that,
as hard as we try, and fail,
The Lord genuinely makes a place for each of us on the nice list.
His true Gift is freely given.
May each of us find that joy in the lights, trees,
parties, santas, and tacky sweaters all around us.

4 comments:

Carolyn said...

This is great Harlene. I'm glad I read this before I head off to bed. Thanks!

And thanks for your comment on my blog. I can't imagine throwing up the whole nine months!... and then doing it with another baby, and another one, etc... You are amazing!

.::still blinking::. said...

I love you Harlene!

Thanks for this.

Rhonda said...

Your kids are awesome. I love how they think. teehee!

And I agree with you! It's a great time of year and I'm glad we continually get to be back on the "nice" list with repentance. whew!

Beckstrand7 said...

I LOVE that girl! Thanks for your reminder of what it's all about. I share your love for this month, this opportunity to feel the love of God and the Son He sent for us all. Thank you!