Saturday, August 22, 2009

Good friends are hard to come by...


I spent my morning at the downtown farmer's market.
I am clearly no longer hip or cool.
I was annoyed by driving so far for vegetables.
I was bothered by trying to find a place to park.
It was hot.

I can be bribed though.
I was getting in a better mood when I found the baked goods.
Someone was smoking pot, and the smell stopped me from thinking about Diet Coke for a few minutes.

and I ran into some of my DEAR Sudanese friends.
Aluel and Soouad have a Sudanese restaurant and serve delicious couscous.
I haven't seen them in at least 4 years.
I used to see them all the time, when they were newborn infant Americans.
They are now full fledged grown up citizens.
I was thrilled to see them there.
I ran to give them a hug.
They wept with joy,
told me,
"I miss you my dear friend!"
"You are now fat and old, is good!"

With friends like that, who needs enemies?

4 comments:

Karen said...

You are making me cry with joy for you...yes, blessed.

Deb said...

priceless. : )

Beckstrand7 said...

I miss you! I remember comments like those from friends in the Philippines - "Sister, you are 'tambok' - fat! You need to wear a pencil skirt." (They believed that straight skirts made you look slim. I think it just holds us in.) I'm so glad you got to see them.

(Karen sounds like she just had a baby, don't you think?:) )

Hey, let's see if we can pull together a birthday dinner maybe on Karl's b-day for all the Sept birthday people, 'k?

April Cobb said...

Ha! You are wonderful. And it was good seeing you there.