Tuesday, January 11, 2011

January 11, 2011

So far I have done really well on my goals. I am excited for this year, although having 2 young adults and 3 teenagers also makes me apprehensive. I understand so well the need to take care of myself so that I can be completely available to them, both spiritually and emotionally.

I am really inspired by the blog "A Homebased Mom". She keeps a list of all the books she reads in a year. Because I love literature so much, I can see how that becomes like a journal. The books I read and the people/characters in them become a part of my day. In many ways they shape my perspective on the world around me and my own behavior. I've decided to do the same this year. In fact I'm thinking I will do a book journal. Many of the books I read last year had very strong parallels to my life while I was reading them. Of course, my scriptures do the same. I really need to keep a scripture journal,as I can see how that would be something of use later on. Both to me and to anyone who comes across it.

Imagine if you actually had your grandmothers thoughts on a verse or chapter of a book/scripture. It would be like having her right here! My Grammie was my best friend, and I would love to be able to feel like I was still having conversations with her. I recently found one of her cookbooks. I've started using recipes from it because it helps me to feel close to her again. In the book was a hand written recipe in her handwriting. I'm not usually a sentimental person with objects, but that piece of paper means so much to me now. Silly, probably, but that's the fun of it. I don't really care if it's silly.

I also cleaned out my closet. I got rid of all the things that really don't fit me anymore. That was tougher and easier than I thought it would be. I've never "outgrown" my clothes before. Even when I was pregnant, I never really gained a lot of weight, so I could wear my regular clothes most of my pregnancy. Now I am the heaviest I have ever been. Even full term I weighed less than I do now. I had no idea I was a vain person until I started falling apart physically. I know other people don't notice it in the same way. The wrinkles and gray hair, but man, it is harder than I thought it would be. Growing up it never occurred to me that any of my friends mom's cared what they looked like. Isn't that funny. If you have seen me running my kids to school in my pj's, or walking my dogs in my husbands boots, it would appear I don't care either. But I do still care. I want to be attractive. For my husband, but also for people at large. Not attractive in the same sense, but pulled together.

And this started by talking about books....

I'm currently finishing the last book in the these is my Words series. It is much better than I anticipated. I am so invested in Sarah, the protagonist if you will. A great read. I'm hoping to tackle some Dickens this year, although I have promised my children I will finally read the Harry Potter books as well as Ender's Game.

My favorite books of 2010 were in no particular order...

The Ladies Auxiliary by Mira Tovis
Mennonite in a Little Black Dress by Rhoda Janzen
Emma by Jane Austen
Reading Lolita in Tehran by Azar Nafisi
Out of Africa by Isak Dinesen
In an Instant by Lee and Bob Woodruff
The Flower and the Nettle by Anne Morrow Lindbergh

Several of these are books I have read several times. Books I can pick up and start on any page and find respite and inspiration.

What books do this for you?

4 comments:

Jolee said...

Totally want to read "Reading Lolita"... gotta get that one! I am a huge fan of Kite Runner and Thousand Splendid Suns. Both Amazing. I'm also a big fan of YOU! So glad you blog! :)

Rhonda said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed the "These is My words" series!!

The books that did it for me were the series mentioned above, A Tree Grows In Brooklyn (in a big way!), and The Help. Those are three of my all time favorites and I read them all in just the past few months.

I would like to read the classics but I'm not convinced I will love them so I have to MAKE myself read one or two a year. lol

Also, I don't think it's silly about the handwritten recipe of your grandmothers! I asked my dad once for his recipe for Peach Cobbler and he emailed it to me and signed it, "love, Dad" and I feel it every time I open my recipe book. It was typed but he typed every word and it means something to me. :)

Karen said...

I don't have books that I could start anywhere and enjoy... I'm too much a start from the beginning and read to the end kinda girl. Really enjoyed These is my words as well. And about objects that bring back memories...It is not silly. It is touching.

hapi said...

Hi Harlene, Nice blog! How to add the Glitter Effect Mouse Pointer to your Blog