Friday, February 13, 2009


Enough said!

Okay, not really, you see I have been severely lacking in my blogging duties of late.
Why?
Trying to domesticate my offspring,
and making our abode inhabitable.
(see above)
Why does it take such a monumental effort to make it look like no one lives here?

Hunky Hubby has retired.
Been layed off is a more appropriate term.
He has commandeered the computer,
and he's home all the time.
Don't get me wrong, I like the guy and all.
In fact, I love having him around,
it's just I feel weird sitting on the computer, lurking in to others lives and sharing random stuff in my head when other adults are around.
Does anyone else feel that way?
Like I said, the Hubs needs a job, so keep him in mind.

Dieter.
Yes, Dieter is still a "large" part of everyday.
He's 11 months old now and weighs in at 140 lbs.
We thought he had finally decided to do his business in the snow OUTSIDE,
but Chandler's tantrum last night assured us Dieter still prefers Chandler's room.
We had a couple of days that were up above a balmy 45 so I sent Seth around the lake nearby with Dieter for a LONG walk.

(here's where the police come in to the story,
yes, we thought it had been a while since they dropped by as well!)

While enjoying the ambiance of the lake,
Dieter spotted a goose.
Apparently, Dieter likes Goose.
He took off dragging poor Seth across the rocks and ice.
Bless his heart, Seth fortunately let go, but Dieter kept running.
About 30 yards out on the lake the ice broke and Dieter fell through.
Seth tried running out after him, but thankfully stopped,
called us and 911.

Some wonderful men walking by saw what was happening, and ran to get a neighbor who had a canoe.
By this time, Seth is distraught, and Dieter is wailing like, well, a whale.
the neighbor with the canoe raced over and paddled out to get Dieter.
By the time the guy pulled him in the boat he wasn't moving anymore,
and his extremities had turned blue.
We rushed Dieter home and in to the tub.
NO EASY TASK!
He was not interested in water by now.
We babied him the rest of the day and had him checked out by a friend who's an EMT.
He ate a banana cream pie of the counter later that day.
He's fine.
I was more concerned about Seth, who understandably was pretty shaken up.
The police did come, 4 cars of them to supervise the cleanup.
We know them all by name.

I've been spending the rest of my time watching my sweet Christopher's life
flash before my eyes daily.
He leaves for Basic Training in a week.
Between training, the linguistics institute in Monterey, and a mission for our Church,
he will be gone for 4 years!

(breathe, breathe)

and despite all of the above,
I still have laundry to fold.
And a basement to psyche myself up for.

14 comments:

Hildie said...

Wow, what a story! Glad Dieters feeling good enough to eat all your good food again!

So sorry to hear about your husband. We had a long unemployment phase over the summer--almost six months. It was horrendously stressful. I don't mind having my husband around, but let's just say that after a few months he was completely neurotic and driving me crazy! I'll keep you in my prayers that he will find a good job soon.

Aren't you glad you bought all that food???

Becky said...

Those are some good reasons for infrequent blog posting! And I can relate to all of them - except the frozen dog and policemen one - there's a reason we don't have pets! Enjoy Christopher's last week, and know our prayers are with Chris and everyone else.

Carolyn said...

i don't even know what to say! I'm so sorry for all your stresses right now. I will be praying for you and your kids and hubby and dog.

Kristina P. said...

I'm sorry about your hubby! I hope things pick up soon!

Erin said...

So much going on in your life right now! I'm glad Dieter is okay.

Jen said...

Bless your heart, Harlene! So glad to hear that Dieter is okay and Seth was wise enough not to try to save him himself. What an event!

We'll be thinking about you guys - praying for Chris, Christopher (I'm surprised you're still able to breathe - I would be in constant hyperventilation mode) poor Seth, and lovable Dieter. And for you who holds them all together. I like you, a lot!

Karyn said...

Hey Harlene, I will be on the lookout for jobs here. I think you would do well here. You would have and "in" with the local law enforcement! Love you guys, I know you will be taken care of.

Deb said...

oh harlene... let me kidnap you and we'll have a girls' weekend, just us.

i am the SAME way about the blogging. i just don't like blogging or reading blogs when hubs is around. i don't know why.

i'm sure you've already done so, but you need to tell seth he TOTALLY did the right thing not jumping in after dieter.

is christopher your first to leave the nest?

you are in my heart and your family is in my prayers. we need to get mr. hubs a job so i can have you back in my online life!

Mike said...

Hey Chris! I thought that gig on "Goodday Sacramento" would have gotten you more "screen" time someplace else! Sorry to hear about the job... I'm still looking myself...

stephanie howard said...

once again I am reminded why I don't own a dog. You need to write a book about Deiter. He is a very entertaining dog!

Karen said...

NEVER a dull moment, I see again!:)
I too will stave off the hoards demanding a dog.

jendoop said...

Honestly, I can smell wet dog and there is no dog living here. Do I say that I'm glad he's OK? Definately glad your son is OK and smart enough to stay off the ice.

Sorry to hear about your husband losing his job and your son leaving. Can't get them out of the house for the day or keep them home (at least the right ones at the right times)!

Sheri Willardson said...

Sorry to hear about your husband-that sucks, and it sure is happening to a lot of people.

Your dog story was crazy! I'm not a huge dog lover, but I would have been a little sad and freaked if any dog fell in a frozen pond. Glad he is ok!

And your previous post about laundry was hilarious! I HATE laundry-and I have lots of it to fold. I'll remember to keep the tv off while I fold! :)

nevadanista said...

Oh man, so much in this post! I was here the other day and was immediately side tracked by a child or something and didn't get to read. Didn't know it contained such heaviness!

Sorry about hunky hubby's retirement. I'll keep my eyes and ears open, because I want him to have a job, but also because I want you to move back :)

Oh Dieter! Poor Seth! Yay for neighbors strolling about with canoes.

Oh Christopher!!! Four years. What is there to say, but that you've raised a good one :)

I'll be thinking of you...