Joy.
It's not what I expected to feel last night when I said goodbye to Christopher.
Not sincere joy , anyway.
Pride, too.
And peace, complete peace.
Peace with the choice he has made and peace with the man he has become.
I thought for sure I would feel sad, or worried for him.
But seeing him holding his own, talking with an Officer, and feeling so confident,
I was the one "at ease".
I believe in prayer. I believe we can know God's will for us and feel His Strength in times of question or need.
I believe Christopher has sought the Lord's guidance and has received direction as to the course of his life.
I believe our relationships on this earth are Eternal.
I am grateful to have had the opportunity to share the last 18 years with Christopher.
I am a better person because I am his mom.
I'm glad for every time I did things by the book,
and for every time I broke the rules with him.
I'm so glad I loved him fiercely!
I'm grateful I was way too affectionate,
and held him so close.
I'm glad I was often too tired to talk, so I just listened.
I'm grateful for the times I trusted The Lord.
He loves my kids more than I, and knows them better too.
I'm grateful for the times I got angry, when I knew he could do better.
Most of all I'm grateful for Christopher.
In feeling how much I love him, it gives me an inkling in to how much my parents love me.
How much The Lord loves me.
I'm grateful I wasn't nearly as responsible for who Christopher would turn out to be as I thought I was.
He's done a better job at that than I could have.
I'm excited for this next phase.
I'm now a supporting character in the background of Christopher's life.
He is the leading man, the star now.
It's not what I expected to feel last night when I said goodbye to Christopher.
Not sincere joy , anyway.
Pride, too.
And peace, complete peace.
Peace with the choice he has made and peace with the man he has become.
I thought for sure I would feel sad, or worried for him.
But seeing him holding his own, talking with an Officer, and feeling so confident,
I was the one "at ease".
I believe in prayer. I believe we can know God's will for us and feel His Strength in times of question or need.
I believe Christopher has sought the Lord's guidance and has received direction as to the course of his life.
I believe our relationships on this earth are Eternal.
I am grateful to have had the opportunity to share the last 18 years with Christopher.
I am a better person because I am his mom.
I'm glad for every time I did things by the book,
and for every time I broke the rules with him.
I'm so glad I loved him fiercely!
I'm grateful I was way too affectionate,
and held him so close.
I'm glad I was often too tired to talk, so I just listened.
I'm grateful for the times I trusted The Lord.
He loves my kids more than I, and knows them better too.
I'm grateful for the times I got angry, when I knew he could do better.
Most of all I'm grateful for Christopher.
In feeling how much I love him, it gives me an inkling in to how much my parents love me.
How much The Lord loves me.
I'm grateful I wasn't nearly as responsible for who Christopher would turn out to be as I thought I was.
He's done a better job at that than I could have.
I'm excited for this next phase.
I'm now a supporting character in the background of Christopher's life.
He is the leading man, the star now.


10 comments:
eAwe! Beautiful. What a wondeful son you've raised and what a great mother you are!!!!!! Yay for Christopher :) I'm so happy for you!
You're doing great! Isn't it wonderful that change can feel so normal when it's the right thing to do? Have fun with your adult-child. They're terrific :)
BOOO HOOO HOOO!!!! Thanks for the tears!
That's so fantastic. I fear the day my kids are grown and long for seeing who they will be all at the same time. Kudos to you mom!
oh harlene... you are my inspiration. you truly, truly are. now, whether or not you are curled up in the fetal position with the blinds drawn doesn't matter. this is so beautiful and heartfelt and you are just amazing. thank you! thank you!
So great! I'm glad you had such a positive experience today. Keep your chin up and don't get discouraged on those days you read this post and wonder what the heck you were thinking ;)
Amen. Through my tears - you're right - down to every last word, you're right. God be with him 'til we meet again! You have done your best, and the rest is up to him and his Lord. I love you, Harlene, and I'll be here if you need a shoulder in a moment of mother-miss-em.
What a wonderful post. I can't imagine coming to that time in life when one of my children leave off on their own and make all their own decisions! I'm glad you feel so good about everything.
Congratulations!! It must be so rewarding to see them off and know that they are well equipped to make good choices. And I didn't know you were a teenage mother!! You must have been 12 in that picture. You look so very young.
I think I could describe you in one word... Amazing! Yep that is you, amazing!
You were always one to take what comes and love it. Tears notwithstanding, you are fabulous!
Congratulations to Christopher.
Post a Comment