Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Got Guilt?

So, I had my first massage from a man the other day.
I had had a monster headache for the previous 9 days.
Monster, as in it hurt to feel my eyelids move, or the pillow case against my face.
The Hubs gave me back the massage gift card I had given him for Christmas.
I told him no, that he deserved a massage.
He said, true, but none of us deserve to live with you like this anymore.

My point is, I had never been given a massage by a man before.

I've had a male physical therapist, doctor, and dentist(my great nemesis),
but only had massages by women.
I have to say, I was a little nervous.
What if he's strange?
What if his hands are sweaty or worse little and dainty?
What if he's really cute?
What if he notices my back fat?

My Stepmom has a male massage therapist.
She swears by him, but he's blind, that would be perfect.

What was I saying? Oh yes, so I go for my appointment with Bart.
He's very nice.
Very tall, no sweaty palms, nice looking , but not cute or intimidating.
Very professional.
The best massage I've ever had.
And I noticed I didn't feel any need to chit chat.
Usually I feel this strange need to make the chick giving me the massage feel comfortable
and welcome and at ease.
Crazy?

I also didn't feel guilty.
Yes, I usually feel guilty while getting a massage.
Or a pedicure, especially if I find out they have kids.
Then I feel this need to not be picky and to leave a big tip.
Why is that?
I then start thinking maybe I should offer to run and get them a diet coke,
or cancel my appointment so they can take off early to see their kids.

But Bart was perfect.
No guilt.
And he never said a thing about my back fat.

8 comments:

Kristina P. said...

I had my first massage by a male several months ago, and he was awesome! I also think he was gay, so that helped.

Rhonda said...

must. have. Bart.

Carolyn said...

Oh does that sound so great! I hope your headache is long gone.

You are the fill in sister so consider yourself hired, end of May it is!

Deb said...

oh it sounds like heaven. and i think i caught your headache.

Karyn said...

Good for you for taking care of yourself. You deserve it! And just so you know, it bugs the therapist when you talk the whole time anyway! :)

jendoop said...

I am jealous of your Bart. Does he have a brother in the East? I want a massage but worry about finding the right place, tell me how to find a good one!

Karen said...

i'm not jealous....i'm..... NOT.

nevadanista said...

Yay for you!!! You should go back for another after your baby leaves :(