Monday, September 24, 2007

Carolina in my mind...


I haven't been able to get that James Taylor song out of my head. Chris and I just got back from 6 days in North Carolina, just us! It was wonderful. He worked all day and I slept a lot. I actually didn't get breakfast or lunch most of the week. I learned I don't mind time alone. Perhaps I would need more of it. Actually it's hard to feel "alone" with a cell phone, and five blessings who have the number. Apparently our kids did great. We only had one call from the Vice Principal at the High School, who wanted to let me know he was "discussing" my son's version of certain events with the school police and would get back to me soon, but enjoy my trip for now. We only had to call one neighbor to give my mom a break and take some of the kids away for a while. We also were only awoken in the middle of the night once for the son who blacked out from an over abundance of helium and possibly had a concussion. Thank heavens another friend is a former EMT. I did get a few calls requesting groceries, and even a few frantic calls that cell phones needed to be upgraded, immediately, to preserve teenage social lives. They hardly noticed we were gone.

As for North Carolina, I could move there tomorrow. Although not very fast. No one there moves very fast. They don't speak fast or eat fast either. They also don't seem to get worked up about anything, except BBQ and Football. I unfortunately must confess, the BBQ is way overrated! Blegh! I did however have an amazing crab cake sandwich. I loved walking through a revolutionary war battlefield, and was moved by standing in the exact spot so many sacrificed so much for.

One of the highlights of our trip was spending the evening with a mission companion of Chris' who grew up in Deep Run, NC. His wife was darling and incredibly hospitable considering we crashed her Bday, and their children all called me mam'. Its always nice to be rekindle old friendships and enjoy knowing there are wonderful people everywhere.

This is getting long, whew, I guess I am renewed and excited to have the opportunity to miss my kids for awhile and to still have a husband I want to get away with.

7 comments:

nickel... said...

Wow! That sounds really fun! And I have to admit that all of your calls sort of blow my mind. I think "I get wigged out and I have only one kid!" I think Heavenly Father gave you some really special blessings to be able to raise FIVE (right 5?)! And perhaps one of those is that you know an EMT! :)

nickel... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nickel... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
nickel... said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jen said...

What's with all these comment deleted?

What a great trip! Dan would have LOVED the Revolutionary War bit, and how fun for Chris to see his old companion. I know their kids were being polite, but don't you feel old when people call you mam'? (Maybe it's just me.)

You sound rejuvenated. (Your mom may not be) Umm...event with the school police? I always love reading your blog!

Carolyn said...

Yes, your blog is full of funny tid-bits. I would love to visit the Carolina's. Being called, "Mam" is something I'm still getting use to out here! Especially when it is from the 90 year old librarian woman! Your trip sounded like a load of fun.

karlb said...

OK, This isn't the first time I've had to apologize for criticizing something you did. Turns out, I think it's a great way to communicate (and you're good at it). Keep these for future publishing.