Thursday, February 7, 2008

brainstorming...



I have been thinking about some little, fun, treats for valentine's day. I usually have things waiting for the kids when they get up. Nothing extravagant, just thoughtful and yummy!

One of my ideas for this year is "pink steamers". We have gotten very good at making them at home since moving to South Jordan, as we don't have a Starbucks nearby. I just warm milk on the stove and we add a variety of "coffee-mate creamers". I'll just add some food coloring and get some big fun mugs. I am also going to try to make some "Starbucks Scones" shaped in hearts.


I N G R E D I E N T S
3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1/2 cup unsalted or salted butter (or margerine)
3/4 cup half and half or light whipping cream
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt (if unsalted butter is used)
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 cup milk (for best results use whole milk)
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup butterscotch baking chips

Topping
1/3 cup butterscotch baking chips, fine chopped (use food processor)
1 egg white, slightly beaten
Confectioner's (powdered) sugar (optional)


I N S T R U C T I O N S
Preheat oven to 425 F.

Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place flour and butter in a medium mixing bowl, combine with your fingers to a coarse meal consistency. Add sugar, baking powder and salt (if used) combine well. Stir in cream, vanilla and egg, blending well to form a soft dough.

Scoop mixture onto baking sheet. Brush tops with beaten egg white; sprinkle ground butterscotch chips over top. Bake until browned - 16-18 minutes. Dust with confectioner's sugar when cool.

What are your ideas?

2 comments:

Carolyn said...

Oh, this sounds very good. I like butterscotch!

I was just thinking today that I should figure something out for Valentine's Day... uh, I haven't thought of anything yet, but I'll let you know if I do!

Jen said...

What a clever idea on the Strawberry Steamers. You could also make the Nestle Strawberry Milk and heat it up...

Thanks for the scone recipe - YUM!

I was thinking for the kids I'd get them each their own little heart box of chocolates. (So they don't fight with each other, eat mine, and have more to share with their mom.)

Dan is going to be out of town on Feb 13, so I was thinking of going into his office to decorate it and leaving a card there for him so it will be there when he comes in on V-day.