So it's Homecoming week around here. I had some how assumed with this many boys, I wouldn't need to spend so much time shopping for such events, but no, I have a long list of things to accomplish before my teen is out of school today. Given that long list , what am I doing?
Blogging of course.
Anyway, all this homecoming prep brought to mind many of my homecoming memories.
One in particular.
His name was Duncan and we were MEANT to be together.
Other than Richard Biejr, Andy Gibb, Keith Dobbins, Shaun Cassidy, and Jon Bon Jovi,
he was absolutely my first love.
I spotted him on my first day of school at Branham High. I had transferred over as a junior and was very much into my mod phase.
Absolutely no conforming for me.
He was British and wearing a cardigan.
I saw him across the quad, and it was love at first sight, for both of us.
Of course he didn't realize it yet.
He was preoccupied with Jill. She may have gotten to him first, but destiny was on my side.
I joined the French club, the International club, and ate my fair share of Bagels.
(he worked at the bagel shop across the street from the high school)
I even bombed my math placement test when I found out he was in "intermediate algebra" and knew I would end up in "algebra 2".
When it comes to true love, I am nothing if not COMMITTED.
We became good friends. we hung out a lot. Just like Molly Ringwald and Jon Cryer.
Yes, I was "ducky". the good friend always there to listen when she did him wrong.
As homecoming approached, you can imagine my excitement when I found out that Duncan and Jill had BROKEN UP!
My friends and I knew it was a sign.
I absolutely was not going to homecoming with a date, as I knew this was the moment I had been waiting for.
Duncan would hear our song...
Ask me to dance, and we would live happily ever after.
Here's what happened...
Duncan and I were dancing to a Billy Idol song. We were totally making fun of all the kids singing along who totally didn't even know Billy had ever been in Generation X, and got their music info from MTV when we of course were SO underground and cool.
As the song ended, I really did hear the first notes to OUR SONG!!
My friends were cheering and I thought I would die of happiness. He asked me to dance to the next song. He took my hand .
I was SLOW dancing with my TRUE LOVE to OUR SONG.
THEN...
SHE came on the dance floor...JILL, with her date!
Her new Senior football player boyfriend who she dumped my Duncan for.
They started dancing right next to us.
THEY made eye contact.
I manuvered myself in between his line of sight.
It was no use. He excused himself, apologized, and said,
"I 'm sorry, your such a good friend , you understand. I need to go."
(Did I mention he was British? So yes all this was said with a perfect British accent.)
NEED TO GO? GOOD FRIEND?
Yes, I was left on the dance floor, alone, in the middle of our song.
It was a classic '80's teen movie moment.
My girlfriend's all came on to the dance floor to console me and assure me he would come around.
Then we all gave Jill our best stink eye and we went to Stuft Pizza in Los Gatos.
I never hear that song without thinking of Duncan. He ended up being one of my best friends through those years. We have a lot of cherished memories together, though no we never dated. He even made it to my wedding. He was the first gentlemen and all around great guy I ever knew.
In many ways my friendship with Duncan helped me recognize what a catch my hubby was.
Now, I'm aiding and abetting my own teens through all that kind of drama.
Which reminds me, I have some errands to run.
(the photos above are random photos that came up when I googled duncan's name.
None of which are actually my Duncan.
Sadly I couldn't find my photos of Duncan this morning.
The photo of the art exhibit are actually Duncan's paintings. He is an artist and art Professor in Chicago)
Blogging of course.
Anyway, all this homecoming prep brought to mind many of my homecoming memories.
One in particular.
His name was Duncan and we were MEANT to be together.
Other than Richard Biejr, Andy Gibb, Keith Dobbins, Shaun Cassidy, and Jon Bon Jovi,
he was absolutely my first love.
I spotted him on my first day of school at Branham High. I had transferred over as a junior and was very much into my mod phase.
Absolutely no conforming for me.
He was British and wearing a cardigan.
I saw him across the quad, and it was love at first sight, for both of us.
Of course he didn't realize it yet.
He was preoccupied with Jill. She may have gotten to him first, but destiny was on my side.
I joined the French club, the International club, and ate my fair share of Bagels.
(he worked at the bagel shop across the street from the high school)
I even bombed my math placement test when I found out he was in "intermediate algebra" and knew I would end up in "algebra 2".
When it comes to true love, I am nothing if not COMMITTED.
We became good friends. we hung out a lot. Just like Molly Ringwald and Jon Cryer.
Yes, I was "ducky". the good friend always there to listen when she did him wrong.
As homecoming approached, you can imagine my excitement when I found out that Duncan and Jill had BROKEN UP!
My friends and I knew it was a sign.
I absolutely was not going to homecoming with a date, as I knew this was the moment I had been waiting for.
Duncan would hear our song...
Ask me to dance, and we would live happily ever after.
Here's what happened...
Duncan and I were dancing to a Billy Idol song. We were totally making fun of all the kids singing along who totally didn't even know Billy had ever been in Generation X, and got their music info from MTV when we of course were SO underground and cool.
As the song ended, I really did hear the first notes to OUR SONG!!
My friends were cheering and I thought I would die of happiness. He asked me to dance to the next song. He took my hand .
I was SLOW dancing with my TRUE LOVE to OUR SONG.
THEN...
SHE came on the dance floor...JILL, with her date!
Her new Senior football player boyfriend who she dumped my Duncan for.
They started dancing right next to us.
THEY made eye contact.
I manuvered myself in between his line of sight.
It was no use. He excused himself, apologized, and said,
"I 'm sorry, your such a good friend , you understand. I need to go."
(Did I mention he was British? So yes all this was said with a perfect British accent.)
NEED TO GO? GOOD FRIEND?
Yes, I was left on the dance floor, alone, in the middle of our song.
It was a classic '80's teen movie moment.
My girlfriend's all came on to the dance floor to console me and assure me he would come around.
Then we all gave Jill our best stink eye and we went to Stuft Pizza in Los Gatos.
I never hear that song without thinking of Duncan. He ended up being one of my best friends through those years. We have a lot of cherished memories together, though no we never dated. He even made it to my wedding. He was the first gentlemen and all around great guy I ever knew.
In many ways my friendship with Duncan helped me recognize what a catch my hubby was.
Now, I'm aiding and abetting my own teens through all that kind of drama.
Which reminds me, I have some errands to run.
(the photos above are random photos that came up when I googled duncan's name.
None of which are actually my Duncan.
Sadly I couldn't find my photos of Duncan this morning.
The photo of the art exhibit are actually Duncan's paintings. He is an artist and art Professor in Chicago)





4 comments:
Oh the drama! Thank Goodness we don't have to live through it again!
Blogging as a distraction from errands and house chores = bliss.
I'm surprised you didn't post a picture of a donut. So glad you made fun of the Billy Idol posers :) The nerve!!!
Sigh....the heartbreak of teenagers.......you're right, your story would fit right in the remake of Pretty in Pink.
But now you have Chris to show off at your high school reunions. : )
drama and more drama! I'm getting my oldest daughter ready for homecoming in two weeks. The shopping hunt is ON!
~Rhonda
Post a Comment