

God Grew Tired of Us, is the amazing story of 3 "Lost Boys" from Sudan. It is a documentary following the boys, now men, over 3 1/2 years from Kakuma refugee camp in Kenya, to the USA, and all that that entails. These young men who have witnessed more than any children should, are remarkably faith filled, dignified, and articulate. Anyone who knows me well, knows I do have a soft spot for Africa, refugees in particular. My family and I have had the privilege of benefiting from both serving and learning from our friendship with hundreds of Sudanese here in Salt Lake. You don't need this kind of connection with them to enjoy this movie. It is well done, narrated by Nicole Kidman(Urban),I know, and thoroughly entertaining. A must for teens. You will be touched and motivated all at the same time.
The second is called "Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill". Also a documentary, it is perfect for a Sunday afternoon or a rainy day. Apparently there is a flock of wild parrots living in San Francisco. No one is quite sure where they came from. One man became enthralled with them and sort of "adopted" them. Through the film we watch him trying to maintain their "wild" side, as well as watching this tender man find purpose for his life. It is actually more interesting and not nearly as touchy feely as it sounds. They may not be the first thing to jump off the shelf at you in Blockbuster, but you won't regret your time spent with these.
There may be a couple of Martin men out there that would be a hard sell for these,but maybe if you tell them the first one is a war movie, and the second is about a rogue agent in San Francisco you may lure them in.
Friday, October 12, 2007
Two movies you don't want to miss!
Posted by Harlene at Friday, October 12, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I'm stoked you posted this. I love spending 2 hours of my precious time watching a movie when it is something worth watching. We are for sure going to be checking these out.
Have you ever watched El Postino? I guess I won't type in this comment all about it. You can google it if you are interested... but we like that movie about a poet and so much more. The music is great too.
Thanks for posting this. I remember you mentioned them to me once before, but I had forgotten the names of them.
Nice idea on how to sell the Martin Men......
Post a Comment