
I am taking down all the holiday decorations today. Usually by this time I am so happy to get rid of the clutter and am excited to get things put away and back in order, except for the nativity. It always makes me sad to box it up. Is that weird? Kind of like when I was little and worried about which of my stuffed animals to sleep with. I didn't want the others to feel left out.
At night I would climb in bed, tuck the covers in perfectly tight, and have my Gramie place all my animals on the bed around me. I would even keep track of who got to sleep in my arms so that they would each have a turn. Perhaps I am revealing too much.
Have I mentioned what happened while I was shopping for our "Nativity Family" this year? I went to Michael's, a craft store looking for nativity pieces. Those of you who don't shop at craft stores should know that from Halloween through Valentine's there are Christmas decorations of all kinds throughout the store. I asked the clerk where I could find the nativities. He actually looked at me and said, "What's that?, Is that an artist? a picture or something?" I was stunned and then sad. He asked another clerk who replied, "How do you spell that?" Perhaps that says more about our culture than any of us want to know.
Now, I realize the nativity pieces don't feel left out as I pack them away, but I have decided to leave a smaller nativity in the living room all year. Maybe it will help keep me focused.
Maybe I'll go give one to the employees at Michael's for their break room.
Saturday, January 5, 2008
One last Holiday Post-
Posted by Harlene at Saturday, January 05, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I love the idea of keeping up a nativity year round. My mother-in-law does just that. She collects them from all over... she has 9 kids, so with a few missions out of the country, she has some great pieces. She displays them in a hutch, but come Christmas they get extra super duper lighting.
You were such a sweet girl to keep track of all your stuffed animals. I can't say I did that... but Cathy did.
You're such a thoughtful girl. I'm sure your stuffed animals appreciated you keeping the affection equalized. (Just ask the Buzz Lightyear crew how it feels to be the toy not loved and played with)
How sad that the Michael's employee didn't know what a nativity was....Maybe he should be the next person your family gives three Marys to next year.
I had the very same thought this year. I recieved the first full nativity that I have ever owned as a gift this year, and it was my most favorite thing. I told everyone I wanted to leave it up all year, and they all looked at me weird. I have a sweet picture of Joseph, Mary and the Savoir that I proudly display. However it is pretty silly that I have never owned a nativity. Most of our stuff is hand-me-downs, and I seldom spend any money on my wants, but a sweet friend of mine did.Lucky me huh! Stephanie
p.s.I hope your all better now!
Post a Comment