"Mom, I don't feel so good."
We hear that all the time, but how do you respond?
If I'm being honest, I'm kind of a push over for sick days.
I'm not talking about the obvious ones, where I have all that extra laundry and bedside vigils.
I"m talking about the ones where your not sure if their faking it.
I secretly really enjoy indulging them one on one.
"Do you need some gatorade sweetie?"
"Let's watch a movie."
"How about a game of clue?"
or my favorite,
"Let's just be snugglebuddies."
I'm quite certain I've been played a few times,
okay, many times, but I don't really care.
I have second guessed myself when I see the correlation between the kids who get the 100% attendance awards
and the scholarships they receive.
Don't get me started on how many of their weaknesses I feel can be attributed to me.
But 100% at anything makes me start to suffocate.
Well, I mean 100% at everything.
Immature?
Probably.
Isn't that one of the few perks of being the grown up responsible for everything else.
Don't I get to decide when to NOT be responsible?
We hear that all the time, but how do you respond?
If I'm being honest, I'm kind of a push over for sick days.
I'm not talking about the obvious ones, where I have all that extra laundry and bedside vigils.
I"m talking about the ones where your not sure if their faking it.
I secretly really enjoy indulging them one on one.
"Do you need some gatorade sweetie?"
"Let's watch a movie."
"How about a game of clue?"
or my favorite,
"Let's just be snugglebuddies."
I'm quite certain I've been played a few times,
okay, many times, but I don't really care.
I have second guessed myself when I see the correlation between the kids who get the 100% attendance awards
and the scholarships they receive.
Don't get me started on how many of their weaknesses I feel can be attributed to me.
But 100% at anything makes me start to suffocate.
Well, I mean 100% at everything.
Immature?
Probably.
Isn't that one of the few perks of being the grown up responsible for everything else.
Don't I get to decide when to NOT be responsible?


5 comments:
yes! you do!
ps: i like to call them "mental health" days. i thought i was giving my youngest one yesterday, but by 7:00 pm, he was running 102. i would have SWORN that cough sounded manufactured. so... moral of the story, better to play it safe. wink, wink.
I ask myself... Would I want other parents to keep THEIR kids home if they were sick... so MY kids don't catch the sickness? the answer is yes every time! ;)
I occasionally indulge too.
'Cept for that time I thought my Kindergartner was trying to play me. I sent him to school and the nurse called an hour later to tell me he threw up all over his desk and that he SAID he told you BEFORE school that he didn't feel good. Well what the heck? If I let my kids stay home EVERY time they complained of not feeling good they'd NEVER be at school! But yea, felt like worst mom of the year that day. whatev.
We call them schoolitis days, and we all need them every now and then.
Yes Harlene! You're the 'adult', and you get to decide when NOT to be responsible :)
Post a Comment