Friday, January 30, 2009

Flashback Friday!


It was the weekend before Valentine's Day.
I was with my Mom and Grammie at Fisherman's Wharf.
No special occasion, just for lunch.
I had a cool Mom like that, if your going out for lunch, why not make the trip worth it and have clam chowder with the sea lions.
While wandering through the shops, I happened upon a giant chocolate kiss.
Being 14, all I could think about was how wonderful it would be if Don Pratt bought me something like this for Valentine's Day.
Who was I kidding?
I was a goofy freshman with braces,
and he was a dashing, blonde, junior!
So what if he was in my freshman English class,
he was a BABE!
"Anything you want to get, Harlene?" asked my saint of a Grammie.
"No, that's okay."
(I knew how to work this)
"Really, Sweetie, anything? My treat?"
"Well, if you really want to get me something...
I've always wanted to try one of those giant chocolate kisses?"
I replied, very non-chalantly.
"How fun! Of course!", my Grammie was the best!

Now I have always been the type to try and MAKE things happen, not just HOPE they happen.
But I was also still a goofy freshman,
so I placed the kiss on my dresser, put on my Spandau Ballet album,
and day dreamed of how maybe Don had spent the weekend with his family in SF,
and he saw the same chocolate kiss,
and he thought of me,
and he knew this was his opportunity to break the silence between us,
and surprise me with a Valentine...

I know, it wasn't going to happen that way,
but here's what did happen.

My BFF Jenni, decided to take matters in to her own hands.
She hid the kiss in her backpack, attached a note that read.
"Happy Valentines Day, Don!
from your secret admirer,
Harlene"

Now she of course didn't tell me she was doing this.
She had the same vivid imagination I did.
She imagined that he was secretly longing for me to notice him as well and the two of us just needed a shove in the right direction.

In English, I noticed Don kept looking at everyone's papers.
I even heard him ask Kenneth Hilton if he knew who Harlene was.
I FROZE!
He was asking about me...
I still was unaware of the gift he had received earlier.
I couldn't breathe.
What if he talked to me?
Kenneth shouted my name,
I looked his direction and he asked some random question about the assignment.
I made EYE CONTACT with Don Pratt!!!!
I thought I would either throw up or die of happiness,
but the best was yet to come.

After class, I ran to the girl's bathroom.
Redid my eyeliner, pouffed my bangs, and tucked my stirrup pants in to my high top Reeboks.
Jenni found me.
"There's someone out in the hall who wants to talk to you, hehe."
"Who?" I asked, shaking.
"It's a surprise, come on."

I walked out of the bathroom and there stood Don Pratt and 10 of his closest friends.
He was holding a chocolate kiss, a giant chocolate kiss!

He approached me and said,
"One giant kiss deserves another."
He smiled, leaned over, and kissed me!
I felt all the blood rush from my head,
my knees started to shake,
and I'm sure at least Jenni knew I was about to fall over!

My First Kiss!


Anyone else wants to share the story of their first kiss?

11 comments:

Deb said...

i was with you until the happy ending. i had all those same fantasies (while listening to that same spandau ballet album. they always wore suits, how dashing!)... except i never had the happy ending like that.

isn't it funny how you remember that stuff and the feelings that went with it? oh, thank goodness i'm not 14 anymore.

but to answer your question, i guess i am sluttier than you, as my first kiss was in the back of the school bus when i was 6.

Becky said...

What a neat story! Isn't that what friends are for?

And I already told about my first kiss - the day we got engaged. (http://neverbored08.blogspot.com/2008/11/how-we-met-part-nine.html)

Kristina P. said...

What a neat story! And I totally had one of those giant kisses.

Beckstrand7 said...

WAHOO!!! I'm over here cheering! Nobody could have guessed the PERFECT ending of that story. Somebody HAS to make a movie of your life - nobody would believe it, but it would be a riot to watch!

nevadanista said...

No way! I can't believe it ended that way :) Was that the only time you kissed Don Pratt?

Carolyn said...

What?! Is this for real? Stuff like this really happens in real life? This is awesome! My first kiss is one that I would LOVE to forget!

Harlene said...

Yes it really happened that way.
No I never kissed him again, although he did buy me a churro once at Oakridge Mall.

J-Lo said...

I kept waiting for your story to take a turn for the worst. I guess I'm jaded by my own first kiss which consisted of meeting up with a sophomore guy (I was a freshman...only 15...so I guess I got what I deserved for being disobedient)at a high school volleyball game. After the game I had to call my sister to get a ride home. When I hung up the pay phone (hard to believe cell phones didn't exist back then:) I turned around and within a milisecond his tongue was down my throat. I couldn't even talk on the ride home I was so traumatized. Besides that, my sister hated me in high school so she probably would've just laughed:)

I'm glad your experience was MUCH better!

Sheri Willardson said...

I had a horrible first kiss experience, not even worth sharing. Its something similar to J-lo's. Anyway, great story!!

Karen said...

It was my First "Official" date (read one on one, no groups) I'd just turned sixteen... yes sweet sixteen and never been kissed... I was leaving for Utah in the morning and he stopped in his car at the front of our house, and turned and said "Have a great trip!" or some such, and I said "That's it!? I'm leaving for 3 weeks and that's all I get?!" I smiled... he smiled, we touched foreheads smiling, then we both leaned in and touched lips lightly. It was a reallllly sweet and wonderful memory.
But I have to say YOURS definitely hits the high note!!!

April Cobb said...

That is about as good as something from Twilight. It was a dream come true!!! Mine involved a private school boy in 8th grade and a study room in the San Juan Capistrano public library. I thought it was great... but hardly worth mentioning because I am sure that my bangs weren't as poofy and my guess jeans weren't as slimming as your stirups.