Thursday, April 3, 2008

Jen asked...part 2








Jen requested some suggestions for a summer reading list. That one is kind of hard, because books are so personal. I tend to prefer non fiction. Memoirs and biographies in particular. I have noticed a trend in many of my favorite books. They are mostly about single women taking off and exploring the world. (I am sure some therapy may be in order.) Most of you know I have a thing for Africa. I really enjoy books about interactions with the people there. One of my favorites is Land of a Thousand Hills, by Rosamond Halsey Carr.

Her story is why we read. A young sheltered woman, impressed with her dashing new husband, takes off to live in Africa in the 1950's. As her marriage falls apart her love affair begins. With the people of Rwanda. Her voice is so sincere and after so many years and so much heartbreak, still filled with wonder and adoration for her "home" and it's people. I highly recommend it.

The others I have posted are great reads for the summer as well. In the summer I like to read books that take me away, in to someone else's world, but I can still pay attention to the kids in the water or at the park. Does that make sense?

Enough About Me, is a fun read. It gives you insight into what I thought my life would be before the life I have now. I'll leave it at that.

Marley and Me is a really popular one. If you haven't read it yet, you should. Good for a laugh and a cry.

Plain and Simple is another wonderful book about a woman running away to live with the Amish. Who hasn't daydreamed about that? Definitely worth your time.

The surprise on this list may be The Trapp Family Singers. Written by the "real" Maria Von Trapp, it is their true story. Filled with faith. There is so much the movie left out.

I would love to hear any of your suggestions or may be just some of your favorite books. I'd also love to know if anyone has read or does read any of these.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

My town just built a new big lovely library and I've been waiting for the day the doors finally open! I will now be adding a few more books to my list. Thanks!

Jen said...

Great list! Thanks for the suggestions.

I've read Marley & Me. Dan suggested it when we first got Allie - he thought it would make me feel better about the idea of a dog.....It was a cute book, though.

Lately I've been a huge addict of Masterpiece Theater's presentation of Jane Austin - I may have to add a few of her books to my list, too.

Marlena said...

I'm Marlena, Carolyn's friend from Tennessee. I had to comment when I read that you are drawn to books about Africa, cause I tend to steer that direction as well. Have you ever read The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver? It is a fictional book, but it is so great. One of my favorites and I highly recommend it.