Friday, June 20, 2008

Flashback Friday



Twenty-One years ago today I got baptized. This photo was taken shortly after my baptism. How grateful I am for that decision. I had been searching for the Truth for some time. Looking for something to take away that "homesick" feeling I had always had. Not that I wasn't loved or cared for by my parents, I was, but they could never answer the questions I had about the big stuff. To be honest, they aren't really the type to ask those kind of questions.

What questions? Do we really start and end here with this life? When you look at how perfectly organized the world is, could it really not have been "planned"? How could there not be a Creator, when every civilization has created something spiritual in nature to believe in? We work so hard to be happy, it has to go on past the here and now.

Most who read this blog know the story of my conversion, so perhaps I should document that somewhere else, but this day I want to declare and testify that I know God lives. As sure as I was 21 years ago, I am more assured now. I am humbled to know He has offered the gift of this knowledge to me while still in this life. I am grateful to not only be able seek His help in raising my family, but to be able to teach my children who they really are. I am humbled and empowered to understand my place as a Daughter of God. I know He loves each of us unceasingly. I have tried to teach my children that they bring joy to their Dad and I, simply because they exist. While I know they will be happier keeping the commandments and serving others, we won't love them more.

I believe our Father in Heaven and Savior Jesus Christ feel the same. Our obedience and devotion doesn't "earn " us more of Their love, it just brings us more joy by helping to bring us closer to Them and more like Them.

I am grateful for His mercy and His love for me despite my mediocrity and spiritual immaturity. Loaves and fishes, He makes so much more of my efforts than I ever could. Today I am grateful for the process of perfection. Grateful for the love and patience that others around me, who also know Him, have for me.

I may mock at the concept, but I am grateful and excited to spend forever with my family. I pray that I can live worthy of them.

This day my prayer is that each of us will spend a moment in gratitude for all the gifts from Above, knowing you are Loved and sharing that Love with those around you.

5 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for sharing with us. You always have the nicest way of putting things, and I love hear what you have to say when it comes to the Gospel.

On a lighter note, can I just say I'm going to love Flashback Fridays........HELLO TO MY 80's SISTER!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Amen to Jen! The only difference is I didn't realize you were that old, I myself am just 21!

stephanie howard said...

Now that my eyes are blurred with tears, thanks! I have never actually heard your conversion story. I would love to hear it sometime:-)

Crazy Mama said...

You are awesome (and I mean that in a very sincere non-utah way). I have no idea how to get a hold of you - except through this blog- we are getting some old Reno folk together on July 5th and it wouldn't be complete without your crew. Email me at trishadayton@gmail.com.

Heidi said...

Hi Aunt Harlene!

Thanks for sharing. I just went to a baptism this weekend for a 20 year girl. It was nice to be reminded of the convent I made and why it is necessary for our eternal progression. I love you!