Monday, June 30, 2008

Our Weekend



Oh the joy of endless days as a family!

Our weekend started off with a trip to the vet for Dieter. You see, he has been scratching his left ear compulsively, and being the very on top of everything Mom that I am, I wanted to be sure everything was ok. $160.00 later, we have confirmed, everything is ok, he is just a compulsive scratching puppy. After getting that resolved we hung with pals and caught a late showing of Wall-E. It was kinda sweet. Wall-E reminded me a lot of Dieter, I'm obsessed I know, and the movie was a hit with my kids, but I had a hard time staying awake. To be honest, I once fell asleep at a Van Halen concert, so I may not be the best judge. Everyone was still up at 11:30, when Hunky Hubby arrived from the airport, and we finally finished parenting for the day by 1:00 am, ugh, teenagers!

Saturday we were up early to stare at the washing machine again. We have been staring at it for 3 weeks now. Have I really not mentioned I haven't had a washing machine for that long? Hunky Hubby, aka MacGyver, has been convinced he can fix it. The problem is, he is away so much saving the world from discolored concrete, that alas it has sat strewn across my laundry room and kitchen for 3 weeks now. Did I mention, no laundry facilities for 3 weeks? It is starting to smell like scout camp around here. Thankfully, some neighbors have noticed the aroma and graciously offered to do a few loads for me. Like I said after staring at the washing machine and finally conceding defeat, we moved on to TALKING about finishing refinishing the dining room table and chairs. Just as we were getting started on being productive, we remembered the free food at the new model homes in our neighborhood, so well of course, we left our projects again. Free grilled salmon and cupcakes, you'd have gone too!

Chris and the kids raced back in time to change in to their "rabid fan" attire and make it downtown for a football game. The goal being to get on the "Big Screen" at the game. I was planning to go so Chris and I could get on the "kissing cam", but hte kids felt that was unsportsman like. I stayed home to stare at the dining room chairs some more, actually I have finished the chairs, dragging my feet on starting the table though. I made a yummy pulled pork dinner and when The Family returned from the game we surprised them with our new summer goal- a hike every weekend.

Yes, you guessed it, nothing gets this crew singing with joy and shouting Do-Re-Mi quicker than telling them we are walking around the woods with no destination and as they mentioned several times, no point. So we got in our matching traveling clothes and sang our way up the canyon. I had chosen a trail for the fun of it, but Christopher spotted a vertical hike that he assumed would teach us a lesson . He was wrong, Hunky Hubby is not deterred by something difficult and/or pointless. Chandler managed to be bleeding from both nostrils, Seth was going hoarse from screaming "This is stupid", and Christopher kept trying to reason with us as to why this should never happen again. Annie and Geoffrey had a great time, as did Chris and I. We both noticed no one was fighting by the drive home, and they were all in good moods. Nothing bonds siblings faster than being united against their parents.

Sunday was wonderful. Church was uplifting, and we had friends and their dog over after dinner for funnel cakes. Chris and i gave up and went to bed by 10, finished another disc of "Heroes" and gave thanks for our family.

Today is my younger kids last day of school so I have to start looking busy tomorrow. Let the games begin!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I only rode 1215 miles in 25 hours this weekend, so you've got me beat!
G'dad

Becky said...

We have some fond, and some not so fond, memories of hiking as a family. I'm sure someday your kids will appreciate the effort you're making to create wonderful memories! In fact, one of our most memorable hikes was the one teenage David lagged 1/2 mile behind the rest of the family the whole trip!

Beckstrand7 said...

Wow, what a weekend! Ours was fun too, and I'm dragging now that it's all over... I wish we'd gotten to go on a hike - can we go with you this weekend?

BTW, I love your new heading. It's got Samuel singing the tag line, "We shall grin & bear it by & by," to the hymn tune. :P

Jen said...

WE MISS THE BECKSTRANDS!!!!!

I'm feeling for you about the broken washer - there's only four of us and we manage to produce an enormous amount of laundry.

On your next hike are you going to learn to sing Do-Re-Mi in harmony?

stephanie howard said...

No washer for three weeks? Oh my I would not like that one bit, poor girl:-(