Wednesday, June 25, 2008

What's a mother to do?



So while shopping for Dieter's layette, we (okay, I), bought this portable dog pen. I assumed that would be a better solution than the standard crate. It can grow with him, as he is definitely growing, and we can use it outside or take it with us camping and the like. I didn't count on Mr. Dieter being smart. I have raised 5 rascals before him, so I should have known better, but I really thought Dieter would be on my side. Foolish and naive, but hopeful. Anyway, we keep him in this pen in our kitchen. Not all day, but when we are gone or at night so he doesn't mess up anything. Frequent readers will note that he has been messing up things...lot's of things. We weren't sure how he was getting OUT of the crate set up. We've been calling it Prison Break season 4, or Tales from the Crate. So we started operation "Stake Out". I have plenty of "eyes" all eager to tattle on someone, so Dieter seemed like the next likely culprit.

Here's what they found:

He climbs up on his hind legs, with his front paws on the crate and walks/pushes the crate across the floor, like a walker. Every time we come back it's in a different location. His greatest triumphs so far have been moving the crate up to the kitchen table and eating any leftovers. At just shy of 4 months he's already tall enough to do this.

When that doesn't get him any goods, he moves/walks the crate over to the stairs and pushes it over just enough to climb under and party down in the basement. He especially enjoys Seth's room, you never know what you might find in there.

Short of bolting the stupid crate to the wall or nailing to the floor, how do we stop him. The kids have started calling him Wentworth and Haywire. If you haven't watched Prison Break, maybe you'd understand Houdini.

BTW, the photos of me holding my baby are getting to be a challenge as he is up to 51 lbs and like I mentioned, not even 4 months old yet.

My husband assures me, Dieter is one of the best decisions we ever made!

1 comments:

karlb said...

Love the "Prison Break" title. What about tying the cage to something?
I like Heroes too (but I actually forgot about it this season, when is it on?).