
I was driving home from a myriad of errands on Friday getting our weekend off to a rousing start, when Seth asked, "Mom, why are you smiling you look so happy?" "What's wrong? Is something wrong if I look happy?", I inquired.
Little does he know I was actually thinking about Kermit the Frog. I have been thinking a lot about him lately. Do you remember the end of The Muppet Movie when Kermit is trying to get all the other Muppets to listen, and of course they aren't, and he's about to give up hope? Yeah,that would explain the last three weeks of my kids off track and Hunky Hubby away almost EVERY weekend since March on business. I love them, don't get me wrong, just like the I love the Muppets. It's my favorite movie of all time in fact, I just sometimes forget about the ending. The HAPPY ending. The Rainbow Connection...where everyone finally pulls it together. That's how I picture eternity. All my Muppets make it and none of us care what it took to get there, we're just happy to see each other.
So as I was saying, our weekend, it started with my getting to go out on a grown up date with gracious friends, while Hunky Hubby was in Sacramento for work. We went to Chinese and I fell in love with Walnut Shrimp. Dear Mike, who had three dates (Me, our pal Jenni, and his wife Michelle), then suffered through Bath and Body Works. My Chanman graciously watched Geoffrey and his pal Seth for a time, as they had been banished from the girl party Annie had been invited too with Seth's sister Sadie. Seth's Papa (also banished from the chicks only Bday) picked up Geoffrey and Seth to take them fishing and for shakes at Red Robin.
My cool teens managed to survive an evening at HOME, and I didn't finish saying good night to kidlets till almost 12:30. I suppose it wasn't really good night as the younger crowd camped with me, which is tradition when Dad's out of town.
We (Dieter) woke up early Saturday morning so I decided to take the little people for Jamba juice and yard sales. Not too much to be had except for the way cool Victorian Doll house my BOYS insisted I get. The ultimate set up for action figures and fire crackers they tell me. they showed me later the Greek letters they put on their new "FRAT HOUSE", hmm. It did keep them entertained for hours while I finished reading my book. So much for Saturday chores. The book is a fantastic read. So honest, heart wrenching and hopeful at the same time. In the afternoon we made it over to "Bark in the Park" a neighborhood event for dogs. Dieter was a hit and Geoffrey won a prize for a "Silly Human Trick". No surprise there. pizza for dinner and then some Sunday clothes and Father's Day shopping. Hunky Hubby finally home around 10:30, yeah.
Sunday had us up early to actually make it to church on time and fully clothed, yes that is still a battle after all these years. Arrived at Church to learn they were redoing the floors and the dinner I am in charge of for Weds evening would need a new location. You are just telling me now? No problem, I am nothing if not flexible. I came up with a plan "B", crossed out the location on all my flyers and posters, ran to all the classes to announce the party had been moved. Then I ran into the Bishop in the hall who gladly told me, "No worries, I told them they didn't give us enough notice, you can have the party here." Okay, back to all the classes to re-announce the party had been moved back. Now I just need to pull off the actual dinner and whole shebang...more on that later.
After Hunky Hubby collapsed for a few hours he took the boys air-softing, while Annie and I took Dieter for a long walk. I love being outside and I loved the company! Stopped by a life-saver of a neighbors house to borrow a couple of eggs for cookies, noticed she had Diet Coke with Lime in the fridge. I did indulge, and I 'm not sorry about it!
Never got around to making the cookies. Spent some time on our porch with Hunky Hubby drooling over properties in North Carolina, in fact we found a darling house in Kinston across the street from one of his mission companions. Family prayer, hugs kisses, and Ice Road Truckers ended the night.
My Monday is looking good. Three kids back to school, dropped my husband off at the airport, Portland this time, and made it just in time for my massage appointment. Treating the big boys to Cafe Rio, and spend the afternoon cleaning.
Perhaps a nap too!
Monday, June 9, 2008
Our Weekend
Posted by Harlene at Monday, June 09, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
WHEW! A weekend in the life of Harlene is exhausting! But sounds fun and adventurous.
Trust Geoffrey to win the silly human tricks - love him.
I loved the insight or the real life of Harlene's day in and day out. I am a little tired myself though after reading it. I could never keep up with you.
Am I the only one who doesn't know what air-softing is?
Yes, what do Chris and the boys do when they go air-softing?
Post a Comment