Monday, July 21, 2008

Competition


A friend of mine was commenting on how competitive her in laws were. At everything board games, recipes, their children. Another neighbor observed that they just didn't play enough competitive sports as children. I hadn't considered that. I did play competitive sports as a child. It was always fun to win, but for me, it always was really just a game. Even when I played on the "Gators" and our forward was Brandi Chastain


I loved being on a team, practicing, and of course the pizza party at the end of the season. I have tried to teach my kids, it's just a game, but for them it's not. Are they simply wired differently? Can you create or inhibit a competitiveness in a child. I am ambitious. I want and expect certain things for my self and my family.The rules to a game are simply that, the rules. The fun of a game or sport is in trying to do better than YOU did the last time. Or maybe better than you thought YOU could do. A game of UNO should just be a way to pass the time together while eating junk food. An opportunity to enjoy each others company.

Not so around here. It is a death match. So what do you guys think? Is it possible to tame these beasts? Is there just too much testosterone around here to take things in stride? Can a game ever be a game in a semi large family?

CAUTION- DO NOT COMMENT IF YOU HAVE ONE OF "THOSE" FAMILIES! YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE!

4 comments:

100 Percent Cottam said...

we were discussing this recently up at my brother's house, playing wii. he's ultra competitive, always has been. i'm the exact opposite. if something turns the least bit competitive, i will just concede and let the other person win. i hate to compete. i noticed that every time maya would wii bowl, she'd be like "YES - i got three!" (or two or six or whatever) and every time my nephew would bowl and not get a strike he'd be mad and my brother would say "pick up the strike, daniel". it made me laugh so hard. we're polar opposites in that way. and he was annoyed that he couldn't rile me up "i'm going to beat you, natalie". go right ahead, i don't care! i don't even care about real bowling, why would i care about fake bowling.

i guess it's just in some of us and not in others of us...

Jen said...

Harlene, did you forget that I'm married to DAN?!!! What do you think his comments would be about competition?!

nevadanista said...

Wow! That was some awsome name dropping! I wish I could casually drop one like that :)

I really can't give any good advice here I'm afraid. I like to win and I like to be right. I just try not to gloat too much ;-)

Unknown said...

You might enjoy this Mr. Media podcast interview with US Olympic gold medal winners Brandi Chastain and Kerri Strug.