Jennie, who happens to be delightfully funny and honest, has included all of us in her goal to finally accumulate a storage of food and supplies to see her family through, should they need it. This idea about food storage is nothing new, but like spiritual adolescents, we seem to not always take the obvious to heart.
We have had food storage in the past and have lived on it while my husband was out of work. No, I didn't ever break out the wheat grinder, not that there is anything wrong with that, I had just stored stuff we would actually rotate into our everyday diet. Cereal, peanut butter, refried beans, pasta, okay, doritos and reeses too. My point is there isn't a "right" way to do it. Just a wrong way, not to.
Each week Jennie will post a new item and quantities for her family. You only have to check in on her blog and add that item to your regular grocery list. This week it's oats. I also forgot to mention, we are just going with 3 month quantities to get started.
Disclaimer: many of you are probably totally on top of this sort of thing so kudos to you! We have just moved too many times in the last few years to haul all that food around with us. I am hopeful we are staying in one place for a while, and really like the peaceful feeling of knowing we are prepared and able to share with others should the need arise.
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Food Storage?
Posted by Harlene at Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Funny how we seem to thing alike! This has just come up in our family as we have just moved again, and have had our food storage depleted! Count us in!
Awesome! I'm so glad you shared her blog. The guilt and overwhelming feeling of getting ours started has been haunting me.
Oats, 1 42oz per person... on the grocery list!
Yes, I like this. She mentions quick and easy...no worrying about the cannery thing. She is my kinda gal. Thanks Harlene. You rock.
That's one advantage to having the kids leave! In six weeks I'll finally be able to say we have a basic year's supply - when there's only four at home. Thinking of just three months at a time really works. You can do it!!!
Harlene, you have solidified a place in my heart by mentioning that you stored Reeses & Doritos in your food storage.
Post a Comment